Thursday, September 12, 2019

4A- Forming an Opportunity Belief

Forming an Opportunity Belief

Step 1: I have a belief that people have a need for chargers with stronger and more protective exteriors. 

Step 2: The unmet need is having a charger (Iphone, laptop, speaker, etc) that lasts for a long time and does not break or rip easily. I hear people constantly complaining, including me, about their chargers breaking within less than a year of owning it. This particular problem has existed for a while and has even become a meme since it is a problem that is so easy to relate to for most people. From my own personal experience, I believe that people are simply treating their chargers with caution and attempting to not bend the chargers in any way. 

Step 3: Connor, 19-year old male who owns various chargers, also is a huge baseball fan 
Step 4: Have you ever broken a charger? - Yes, more than once
            How long have you had this problem? - Ever since I have had a phone 
            Do you notice this problem all the time or only sometimes? - Only when my cord rips
            How are you currently dealing with this issue? - I usually just purchase a new charger when                one begins to rip
            How satisfied are you with this solution? - Honestly not very satisfied at all. 

Step 3: Yuki, a 21-year old foreign exchange student from Beijing. Fun Fact: We met at Wendy's
Step 4: Have you ever broken your charger? -  I believe so, yes
            How long have you had this problem? - I really would not consider it a problem, but I think I  had a phone charger break about two years ago
            Do you notice this problem all the time or only sometimes? - Well so far only once
            How are you currently dealing with this issue? - I bought a new charger
            How satisfied were you with this solution? - I would rather not have to buy another one, but this solution is fine

Step 3: Troy, 19-year old male from Homestead. Wants to become a sports agent
Step 4: Have you ever broken your charger? - Yes, many times. 
            How long have you had this problem? - As long as I've had a phone
            Do you notice this problem all the time or only sometimes? - My charger is currently ripped right now actually, but I usually only notice it when the charger is in fact ripped. 
            How are you currently dealing with this issue? - I put a small piece of duct tape over the tear. 
            How satisfied are you with this solution? - It works rather well for a while, but I have gone through many chargers despite using tape 

Reflection: After conducting these interviews and also talking to friends about the issue, 
I realize that many people do struggle with chargers ripping. I definitely believe that the opportunity stands. While Yuki did not seem to have much of a problem with her chargers, Troy and Connor would most likely purchase chargers with a stronger and more protective exterior as it would save them money in the future. Like Troy, I too have used tape as an attempt to fix a broken cord, but to no avail. I always ending up having to purchase a new one. 

Summary: I definitely think that the opportunity is still there, but the amount of customers might be a little bit smaller than I initially thought. Not every person has that much of an issue with chargers and some people are more delicate with their appliances than others and never need to buy new ones. The new opportunity, while perhaps being smaller than before, is much more accurate. Entrepreneurs should definitely adapt their opportunities based on customer feedback. These are the people they are trying to sell to, so they should definitely see what the customers have to say. Unless sales are absolutely booming, an entrepreneur should always be ready to adapt. 















2 comments:

  1. Hi Michael, I have had this problem very recently and I’ve thought about this opportunity before as well. I have broken my computer charger two times in the past year, and I was beyond aggravated! I agree on your reflection how we should adapt our opportunities and solutions based on customer feedback. Like you mentioned one of the interviewees did not find the extreme need for that opportunity, though I bet that they would all appreciate a sturdier charger. I think you did a great job setting up the opportunity, summarizing and reflecting. Your interviewees showed variation which is very good. I think all that missed was what % you believed your opportunity existed. But great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michael!
    I find your opportunity belief very intriguing. Although it is never something I’ve thought of as an issue myself, I have been inconvenienced by a couple different of my chargers’ lack of durability and would definitely be interested in purchasing a stronger or more sturdy charger in exchange for longer use- time, even if that required it to be a little more expensive.

    ReplyDelete