Thursday, September 19, 2019

6A- Identifying Opportunities in Economic and Regulatory Trends

Regulatory Trends:

Electronic cigarette epidemic, causing serious health issues


https://time.com/5680988/juul-vaping-health-crisis/

-There is definitely an opportunity here because electronic cigarettes such as JUUL are very prevalent in today's society especially in teenagers. There is also an opportunity due to the fact that these products are dangerous and can ultimately lead to shortened life spans and other health risks. If a harmless product could be manufactured and sold and was scientifically proven to be safe, the opportunity is huge.

-The prototypical customer would be anyone who has recently used electronic cigarettes
 or someone who is trying to quit smoking. A large business could also be very interested in this opportunity.

-I feel that this opportunity could possibly be easy to exploit if it was made sure to be 100% harmless and still effective.

-I thought of this opportunity because it is such a big deal in our society today especially due to the recent news of how harmful these products can be. If someone could actually make this product, I believe it would be extremely successful and save more lives than most people would think.

College athletes getting paid, laws soon to be passed in multiple states

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/california-sets-clash-ncaa-passing-bill-allowing-college-athletes-get-n1052886

-I do not agree with this law in a way, but I see a way that this law could be used for the better. There has been a lot of talk about whether college athletes should be able to sign endorsement deals or if the colleges they play at should just straight up pay them. In my honest opinion, I think that straight up paying college athletes is absolutely idiotic as they already have full scholarships to the universities they attend including several other benefits. I also think that if they are able to sign endorsement deals and outsiders will pay them, then that's completely fine. The opportunity I see is for this money from the university to go to perhaps scholarships for "regular" students who are struggling to pay for tuition.

- The most likely customers are any students who meet any certain requirements set for these scholarships and are struggling with tuition.

-I think that this opportunity should be easy to exploit as it seems like a huge problem that could be easily fixed, but would probably never be seen through.

-I saw this opportunity again due to the chatter about these new laws in recent news and due to personal experience with tuition especially as an out-of-state student.


Economic Trends

Climate change is sparking opportunity, especially for small businesses

https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/opinion/2016/01/13/climate-change-is-a-threat---and-an-opportunity---for-the-private-sector

-Climate change should be one of the scariest things for all humans because it is looming and is a huge problem. There are countless opportunities for businesses to help the environment and slow down global warming. Companies can find opportunities in things as simple as solar panels and eco-friendly construction.

-Large corporations would be the prototypical customer

-This opportunity might be difficult to exploit because these companies might be spending more money than they would like to even if they are helping the environment

-Climate change is basically the go-to issue for our economy with endless opportunities to think of

Baby Boomers are not Retiring

https://www.thebalance.com/top-usa-future-economic-trends-3305666

-The simple fact that the generation known as the baby boomers are not retiring is effecting our generation in a negative way. The Baby Boomers are not delaying retirement for their own enjoyment though; the recession has forced this delay. The opportunity is one that has been forced upon this generation, but it is one of technological advancements and new ways of thinking.

-The opportunity is one for mostly the new generation or people who have trouble finding jobs due to Baby Boomers delayed retirement.

-This opportunity should be easy to exploit as it has really already begun and they are used to having to think outside the box and struggling to find jobs.

-This problem is one that many people have experienced and is a problem that we will soon face when we begin our journey into the "real world".

















5 comments:

  1. Hi Michael, you posted some economic trends that are not as prevalent as climate change per se, and it was interesting to read about. I wrote a lot about climate change because like you said I believe it's a serious looming danger for the whole world. You did a great job separating the different aspects of the assignment, making it easy to read, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael! I really like how you dissected what aspects are good for the college athletes idea. The opportunity you brought up is really cool because it uses the money for something other students can use. Good job looking at all the perspectives of the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael,

    I really enjoyed reading your post. It was interesting to see what regulatory and economic trends you identified. I've heard before that baby boomers are retiring less, so it was great to learn more about that. I've never thought about the effects climate change could have on small businesses before. Great formatting on the post, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Michael,

    I liked the point you made about college athletes. I heard about the California law, and I think it's an important one. It's unfair that colleges are profiting off of the name and likeness of players, and its good that change is occuring to fix this. Climate change is another great example, as it provides many opportunities to businesses to become sustainable, for the benefit of the environment and the business itself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Michael, I enjoyed reading your post. It was really good to see the differences in economic and regulatory trends. I was not aware of the baby boomers not retiring, however, the college athletes being paid has always been a topic of discussion. You have great points, while also dissecting the effectiveness of each. Great post!

    ReplyDelete