Thursday, November 7, 2019

21A- Reading Reflection 2

The book I chose to reflect on this week was "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman. The main focus or general theme of the book was discussing the two parts of the brains that fight for control of your behaviors and actions. Also, the author speaks on the fact that our brains are lazy and do not allow for us to use our full intelligence. We must strive to utilize all of our brain power. One of the main connections from this book and ENT3003 is that the author speaks in depth about how we should all leave our emotions at home when making important financial decisions. Daniel seems to have a vast and advanced knowledge for entrepreneurship. One exercise I would assign for a class based on this book would be for the class to try and focus on what part of the brain they are using at certain times. I would give the class a list of list of "things to do" and their goal would to determine which part of the brain they are using at that time. My biggest surprise while reading this book was how scientific the author was. I did not expect a book based on entrepreneurship to be so havily science based. He explained how most of our business decisions are based on how our brain works and how different systems within our brain functions. Overall, it was a very interesting and helpful book that changes the way I view every decision I make from now on.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michael, I read the same book as you. I thought it was great. I like your idea for the class, to try and separate the two different areas of the brain can make you more conscious of how you think, and therefore make more informed decisions just by knowing what and how System 1 and System 2 work. I agree, this book was very heavily scientific and experimental based, which I greatly enjoyed because it gives factual data to how trends and our society thinks. This is important when we try to market to our segments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael,
    It was interesting to hear about what your thoughts were on the book Thinking, Fast and Slow. That was one of the books on the list that seemed interesting to me, but I didn't have time to read it. I thought your post was very well organized, and it did a good job effectively communicating the main points from the book. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete